Sunday, September 27, 2009

The devil was once an angel


Gonna move to a mountain top,
gonna build a cabin in the woods,
gonna turn the soil and grow a garden,
lost among the trees,
open to the stars,
away from the masses,
get my water from the streams,
fall asleep in silence,
in a homemade bed,
next to a pot stove,
embers glowing red,
yet I'll awaken to disappointment,
and the nausea of the day,
amidst the hustle of the city,
and the bustle of the players,
fluid identities,
and the sharp dressed religious saying prayers,
on the bench across the street,
bad luck and a quivering hand,
bad decisions and clothes full of sand,
bloodshot eyes,
coins in a can,
in but a moment,
one can see,
I could be you,
you could be me.



"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."

---The Hagakure: Book of the Samurai

1 comment:

Square Corner said...

Dox, well done. With a 'Bukowskian' flair and insight from a life lived differently--and thank goodness for that. Picked up an old Pentax camera for $10 at a Thrift Store. Soon I'll be loading it up with Kodak black and white Tri-X 400asa film and will do street photography. If I come across a devil in angel clothes, I'll snap that picture. I'll give you a copy. The frame is on me.

SC